Expectant parents will find respect, understanding and compassion from the staff at ADOPTIONS OF INDIANA. Pregnancy isn’t experienced the same way for every woman or couple. There are times when you may not be sure if you are prepared or able to parent at this time in your life. This can lead you to feel very anxious and overwhelmed.
At ADOPTIONS OF INDIANA, your counselors assist and support you through this critical decision-making process with total privacy. Our staff will offer a caring and non-judgmental environment where women, and their significant others, can ask questions, be linked to resources, and have an opportunity to talk with professionals who will truly listen. It is our mission to provide you with a comfortable and safe place to talk about your options and to gather useful information, support, and guidance through your decision making process.
If you decide that adoption is not the right choice for you, we’ll respect your decision. We’re here to help you evaluate what’s best for you and your child, and to provide you with the support and resources you need to make your decision.
Should you decide to make an adoption plan, our clinical staff will provide counseling and support throughout the adoption process. We recognize that adoption plans are made out of love. We will help you through your healing process and assist with your return to work or school.
Our staff members are professionally licensed and most have a personal connection to adoption. Choosing the best option for yourself and your child is difficult and requires much thought, careful consideration, and great strength. Our staff believes such decisions require our utmost attention.
Issues of guilt, grief, love, and loss often may make it even harder to make a decision. At ADOPTIONS OF INDIANA we provide individual, couples, family, group counseling and an on-line birth parent only support group to help you weigh your options and make the right decision for you and your child.
Both pre-placement and post-placement services are available, without charge, to expectant parents and birth parents. If you do not have transportation or would not feel comfortable meeting at our office, our staff are able to come to your home or another agreed upon location.
To help you understand the process, we’ve outlined the basic steps in the process:
- Contact ADOPTIONS OF INDIANA anytime. Contact ADOPTIONS OF INDIANA anytime. Whenever you’re ready, call: 317/574-8950 or Toll-free 888/573-0122, text: 317/997-1865, or email: firstname.lastname@example.org –whatever way you feel most comfortable connecting with us. We’ll answer your questions and help you explore the possibilities of adoption.
- Meet with your ADOPTIONS OF INDIANA counselor at a time and location that works best for you. Initially, your ADOPTIONS OF INDIANA counselor will meet with you to help you explore all your options. We want to make certain you have the opportunity to consider all your choices, as well as your rights and responsibilities. We will never pressure you to make an adoption plan for your child. Your counselor will help you understand all the different types of adoption and if and when you are ready, your counselor will help you develop an adoption plan that is right for you.
- Review prospective adoptive families and select the right one for your child. You have the opportunity to review adoptive families’ personal profiles as well as to request more information on a family, to speak to them by phone, and meet them in person. Some women choose to develop a relationship with the adoptive family and others may prefer not to have contact at all. It is totally up to you.
- Counseling and support services are available to you throughout your pregnancy, as well as after placement, as long as you wish to continue. ADOPTIONS OF INDIANA offers adoption focused counseling services to you, your partner, and extended family. We also have a private on-line support group just for birth parents, as well as a monthly support group that meets at our office, and special events designed especially for birth parents. Your counselor will help you as you are considering post-adoption communication options with the prospective adoptive family. She will be available to be with you to help you discuss adoption related issues with the prospective adoptive family.
- Make your Hospital Plan. Your counselor will assist you in designing a plan for your hospital visit. It is a document that helps the hospital staff to understand your desires for your hospital stay related to your contact with the adoptive family and the baby. Your hospital plan may be changed at anytime you desire within your hospital stay.
- Take time to make your decision. Your counselor will be available to you at the hospital as much as you desire. After the baby is born, your counselor will check in with you to learn if adoption is still your plan. In Indiana, you may not sign anything to obligate yourself to adoption prior to the birth of your child. Indiana law allows a woman to sign at any time after birth. We, along with most hospitals, recommend that you take at least 24-48 hours to rest and recover and not be under the influence of any narcotics or pain medication that may affect your judgment. You may take as long as you need.
- Complete your Adoption Plan. If you are ready to proceed with your adoption plan, your counselor will meet with you to explain and sign all of the necessary legal documents. Laws differ by state and we will help you understand the adoption laws involved. Once the papers are signed and the adoption is complete, your decision is permanent. In Indiana with your consent to adoption, adoptive parents are able to have the baby discharged from the hospital into their care. There is no need for foster care. The baby is able to go directly to the adoptive family of your choice.
- Support after placement. We encourage you to meet with your ADOPTIONS OF INDIANA counselor after placement. We will continue to be available to you for support through counseling services, peer support, our private online group, our monthly birth parent support group, and special events. We hope to build a long lasting relationship with you so you know we’re here when you need us. Our services are always available to you.