RENÉ AND AMIA
matched with expectant mother
“Live, Learn, Laugh and Love!”
We are René and Amia. We met during our first year in college and have been married almost 12 years! We are very close with our extended family, love to laugh at Amia’s corny jokes, enjoy serving in our community, love traveling, and view ourselves as life-long learners! After years of struggling with infertility, we are excited about being first time parents through adoption! We look forward to getting to know you!
The motto “Live, Learn, Laugh and Love” pretty much sums us up! We live to make life-long memories through exciting experiences – particularly through travel. We enjoy visiting different countries and experiencing different cultures, whenever possible. Traveling has been both an educational and humbling experience for us. We want to continue that tradition with our child and show her or him that the world is meant to be explored!
We also live to learn new things. We are life-long learners that value education and enjoy expanding our minds. We look forward to providing our child with a good education and equipping them with tools to succeed in life. We want to expose our child to different activities and experiences that foster their curiosity.
We laugh often because life should be enjoyed to the fullest, and we believe laughter is often the best medicine. As a result, we do not take ourselves too seriously and, when appropriate, try to find humor in situations. We look forward to sharing the gift of laughter with our child.
Finally, we love the Lord, which is the foundation of everything we do. We are committed to helping our child learn about God and His plan for his or her life.
RENÉ ON AMIA
I remember being immediately attracted to Amia when I first saw him during our freshman year in college. He was known for his integrity and had a reputation for being a good guy. What I love most about him is willingness to help others in our community – he truly has a servant’s heart. He is always the first person to show up and the last person to leave when volunteering or working in our church ministry. He is also stable, dependable, and makes me laugh with his corny jokes (although he is not as funny as he thinks he is)! Amia is a very patient and kind man. He will make a wonderful father someday.
AMIA ON RENÉ
Falling in love with my wife, René was easy. I love several things about her, like her compassion and nurturing spirit, her beauty (inside and out), her style, her sense of humor, and her eclectic taste in music (she likes anything from classical music to 80’s pop to hip hop). Another one of the many things I love about my wife René is her competitive spirit. Early in our relationship, I was pleasantly surprised to find out how competitive she was. Do not let her beautiful smile and laid-back style fool you. When she plays a game (any game – spades, scrabble, shooting pool), she plays to win!! These are just a few qualities that will help make René a cool, dynamic and excellent mother someday.
My immediate family is small. I am the only child and my parents cannot wait to be grand-parents! They are already planning how they will spoil our child rotten! They live less than 10 minutes from our house and have been a huge support throughout the adoption journey. Both of my parents come from large families so I have a large extended family of uncles, aunts, first and second cousins. We are very close and have large family gatherings during the holidays. My family likes to have fun, which usually centers around trash-talking and good food!
I come from a family of four. In addition to my parents who live in Tennessee, I have an older brother who is married with two daughters and lives in North Carolina. I talk to all of them often on the phone and travel to see them as much as possible. Whenever we get together, we love playing card games like Rummy 500 and Bid Whist or playing word games like Scrabble and Royalty. We are all competitive, so these games can often get intense!
We live in a quaint three-bedroom home on a quiet street in central Indiana. It was built in 1929 and has lots of character with plenty of space for a child. We fell in love with the house because of the neighborhood. There are several young families with children on our street, so there will be plenty of opportunities for play dates. Our home is also within walking distance from several parks, playgrounds, biking trails, and an ice cream parlor. Our community is within a short distance from theaters, community centers, and libraries. Our child will have plenty of opportunity to take advantage of all our community has to offer!
When we are not working, we are involved in our community through our church ministries and separately through René’s sorority and Amia’s fraternity. Giving back to our community is an important part of our lives.
We promise to nurture, guide, and cherish our child for a lifetime. We also understand that our child will have an identity beyond us that includes you. We would love to share letters and photos; and are open to discussing more. We look forward to honoring an adoption and communication plan that ensures that our child knows how much he or she is loved by you!
RENÉ’S TOP 10 FUN FACTS
- I am a movie buff and could go to the movies every day! I love Sci-Fi and scary movies. I am also a fan of anything zombie!
- I LOVE food and the experience of trying new foods. I have had my share of crazy foods that includes shark, snails, snake, alligator and quail eggs. My biggest surprise: alligator tastes like a McDonald’s chicken nugget!
- I love to read. I read at least 1 book a month.
- I once tried swinging on a flying trapeze (like in a circus)…I think I ached for days!! :-/
- I LOVE to travel. I have visited 19 countries and have many more on my bucket list.
- My guilty pleasure is watching reality TV – Real Housewives of ATL is one of my favorites.
- My love of the arts started as a little girl – I did ballet and gymnastics; and played the piano and flute growing up. I would live to expose our child to the same.
- I was a cheerleader from junior high through college.
- My idea of a perfect day is a lazy day sitting on my screened-in porch with a good book or catching up on my DVR.
- If I could live anywhere in the world, it would be on a beach. I am a beach bum!!
AMIA’S TOP 10 FUN FACTS
- I was a DJ in college and still do it for fun. I love mixing old school hip-hop, neo-soul, R&B and house music.
- I love going to the movies – I am a sucker for romantic comedies like Hitch (with Will Smith) or Legally Blonde (with Reese Witherspoon).
- I enjoy playing golf even though I’m not that good…right now.
- I love going to concerts and listening to live music. For example, Jill Scott puts on great shows, and I enjoy going to jazz clubs.
- I used to hate reading as a child…but now I love it. I love Toni Morrison novels like Song of Solomon and The Bluest Eye. I recently read Homegoing by Yaa Gyasi.
- I love hanging out in used bookstores.
- My dream job would be a movie director making more movies like Drumline, Stomp the Yard, The Best Man and Love & Basketball.
- I was born in Tennessee but claim Gary, IN as home.
- I graduated 1st in my high school class.
- I was a step-master for my college fraternity. My favorite memory was winning our homecoming stepshow.