Kyle & Anna
We are caring and fun-loving parents who believe that there’s good and fun to be found in every day. The heart of our family is our animated and cheerful three-year-old, Elliott who’s always full of love, laughter, and of course lots of questions (he’s 3 after all!).
We met almost 10 years ago while at an art gallery open house. There was an instant spark and the rest is history. 10 years later we truly are best friends and find the more we support each other, the stronger our bond becomes. Kyle’s worked as a validation engineer with a great local company for around 13 years, mostly on projects at a pharmaceutical company. He’s passionate about music and has sung in choirs ever since he was in middle school. Anna works part-time as a paralegal at a local law firm and feels very blessed to be able to stay home with Elliott the rest of week. Her passion is making our house feel like a home-whether it’s cooking, decorating, or home improvement projects. We are so excited to add another little one to our family and can’t wait to meet you!
ANNA ON KYLE
Kyle is a caring and generous husband who goes out of his way to do whatever he can to take care of his family. He’s passionate about music and has sung in choirs ever since he was in middle school. He also loves sports…like nearly every sport. These days he’s lucky to watch a whole game on TV though since we’re usually playing outside or doing something that involves lots of running and giggling, like tag or hide and seek. He’s sang with a local mid-sized choir for around 10 years. He and his group had the opportunity to sing the national anthem several times this year for Indy 11 soccer matches and in front of 20,000 fans for FC Cincinnati. It fills my heart with so much joy to watch all the little things Kyle does for Elliott like ‘eating’ the pretend food that Elliott always gives us, hanging out in a cardboard fort they made together, and having races on slides at the playground by our house.
KYLE ON ANNA
The first time I met Anna, I was immediately struck by her beauty and amazing smile. Once I got to know her better, I saw how kind and caring she is, and knew she would be an excellent wife and mother. Since we adopted Elliott, she’s really enjoyed working part-time and having the extra days to play with Elliott and run errands together. Elliott’s a very good helper and likes to help make grocery shopping decisions. They might end up with a random box of pasta or extra container of oatmeal by the time they get to the check out. I love seeing her playing around with Elliott and making all of us laugh. Her passion is woodworking and home improvement projects, and she’s great at making our house a home. She’s made some of the furniture that we use in our house every day.
Elliott has been our greatest adventure!
It’s amazing how much one little person can bring with him such joy, such wisdom in his unique and innocent view of the world, uncountable laughs, and such a capacity for love. He dances to music, he hums or sings, makes himself laugh with words he finds funny (like “tooty fruits”). He gives ‘tours’ of his favorite part of town, pointing out the main attractions in 3-year old speak: “there’s the Donald’s (McDonald’s), there’s the kitty doctor, there’s the donuts, there’s the cakes.” He’s recently shown a lot of interest in music and instruments so we plan to look for some music classes for him soon.
Elliott would love to have a brother or sister to do life with. He gets Kyle and I to make his teddy bears eat pretend food, dance with him, and ask him questions about his books – this boy doesn’t even know how badly he needs a brother or sister!
For each of us, our parents were always some of the most positive and encouraging people in our lives and we want to be the same to our kids. Neither of us realized how tough it really is to be a parent until we had Elliott. There are some situations that don’t seem to have a ‘right’ answer. So many things are in-the-moment decisions that rely on reading Elliott’s emotions to know what will comfort him the most after a fall or what will prevent an emotional eruption if he’s in desperate need of a nap. Overall, one of our biggest parenting mottos is to choose our battles.
We adopted Elliott when he was 5 months old so we missed out his super tiny, waking-up-every-two-hours stage. He came to us the week after Mother’s Day and I was very happy that Elliott’s birthmom got to spend her first Mother’s Day with him. We have an open relationship with her and enjoy staying updated on each other’s lives. Parenting for us has simultaneously been the most rewarding and most challenging experience of our lives. Being a parent is filled with countless regular, every-day moments and we try to remember that it’s those same moments that are opportunities to teach, act with kindness, give affection, and just plain be silly.
Family is important to us and the three of us spend a lot of time with Anna’s parents and Kyle’s parents and brothers and sisters. We all love spending time together so much it takes us about 4 rounds of hugs and 10 minutes just to say goodbye to each other whenever we’re together. We enjoy taking family trips with our parents and brothers and sisters. Holidays at our house are crazy, but cheerful occasions as we squeeze in visits to 3 family’s houses in one day just to make sure we get to celebrate with all the closest parts of our family. Elliott loves running around with his cousins and shoving slices of pie in his face at every stop! Right now we have 3 nephews and lots of fun-sized cousins. Our siblings plan to have more kids in the future so our little ones will have lots of cousins to grow up with!
We’ve lived in Brownsburg for over three years, in a peaceful neighborhood nestled into the suburbs just west of Indianapolis. We didn’t want to move again anytime soon so we found a big house with room to grow. We love the nice people and great schools here! The 3 of us spend lots of time walking on our neighborhood’s wooded trails and soaking up the sun at our neighborhood pool. Our two cats, Reesey and Tiger can usually be found lounging on our bed especially if it’s a sunny day. Reesey has recently been on a kitty adventure streak, sneaking out to our vegetable garden if the back door is left open for more than 10 seconds. Elliott’s usually quick to help corral her back in, which is good since he’s usually the one who leaves the door open.
GROWING OUR FAMILY
Elliott has been the biggest blessing in our lives and we’re incredibly excited to be growing our family again through adoption and multiplying that blessing times two! We’re very thankful for our relationship we have with Elliott’s birthmom, and can see how much open adoption benefits everyone involved.
Fun facts about Anna
- I lived in a tent for 5 weeks in my mid twenties while I visited several national parks.
- My favorite holiday is Christmas. Seriously, I get sooo excited for Christmas!!
- I make Kyle take us out for Indian food for my birthday each year.
- When I was 21, I taught myself how to wire a breaker box and install sinks and toilets after I bought my first house (talk about a fixer upper!)
- My mom taught me how to sew when I was little so when I split my pants in 3rd grade, I repaired them myself.
- I love crafty stuff including sewing, embroidery, refinishing furniture, and have recently been learning modern calligraphy.
- Lately I’ve been learning about content writing for websites and hope to replace my part-time job doing this kind of work.
- I grew up in the country on a gravel road and find the drive out to my parents’ house to be so relaxing.
- I love nature and try to incorporate a lot of natural elements into our home’s interior to keep us feeling a little more connected to the outdoors.
- I really like board games and so does our extended family so when we get together the adults usually play games after the kids go to bed.
Fun facts about Kyle
- I was in the Boy Scouts and made it up to Life Scout, which is just below Eagle Scout.
- Soccer was my favorite sport growing up, and I played for 10 years.
- I’ve been on over 100 different roller coasters, and Anna and I have gone skydiving together 2 times!
- My dad has Green Bay Packers (my favorite team) partial season tickets, he and I go to a game in Lambeau Field every few years.
- Christmas is my favorite holiday, it’s when I have the most time with all my family!
- I saw 3 cities in China and the Great Wall on a choir trip.
- My company does fun team-building activities, we’ve done a cooking competition, cookouts, and nice Christmas dinners.
- I once went on a 3 day canoeing trip with a friend in a large Canadian park and paddled around beaver dams and moose.
- When I have free time, I like to brew my own small batches of beer.
- My favorite food is pizza, and the best one I’ve had is deep dish in downtown Chicago.
Fun facts about Elliot
- He has a BIG sweet tooth. Anytime I ask him what he wants to eat, it’s something involving candy, fruit snacks, or cake.
- He’s a daredevil who likes to jump off the couch and crash into our kitchen cabinets with his bike.
- He knew over 200 words, including his alphabet by the time he was 2 years old.
- He loves to laugh and make other people laugh.
- He picks up all the phrases we say to each other like “Did you have a nice day sweetie?”