KEVIN AND NICOLE – PLACEMENT
Hi! We are Kevin and Nicole; a young-at-heart and hard-working couple who like to focus on enjoying life with each other, friends, family, and, of course, our dog Ozzie. We are always trying something new and have a tradition of giving each other “experiences” as gifts for birthdays and holidays; one of our favorites was dance lessons. We enjoy vacationing a few times each year and recently scratched Europe off our bucket list. We are so excited to become parents and begin family traditions with a little one. We are beyond grateful to you for letting us be a part of this journey and look forward to an open adoption!
We met on E-harmony several years ago. I, Nicole, was new to the site and Kevin was one of the first people I was matched with. I could tell from his hilarious profile that at least we would be friends. Turns out we lived only 10 minutes from one another and after a month or so of emailing, we met and have never looked back! We are best friends and could never see life without one another. Since, I was diagnosed at 20 with a condition that has caused infertility, discussions of starting a family began early in our relationship – I had to make sure we were on the same page. What is most important for us is being parents, without a focus on having a biological child.
NICOLE ABOUT KEVIN
Kevin is sweet, loving, and hilariously funny. During the first call I ever received from him, he pretended to be a fireman checking to see if I had lit my house on fire since I was grilling for dinner. He is an IT Manager at a local college, but is the farthest thing from your usual geeky, computer guy. He loves working with power tools and is always doing something around the house. Although we function as a team, Kevin is the rock. Where I am driven and goal-oriented, Kevin brings the fun and relaxation. I cannot wait to see him as a Dad; smiling, laughing, playing with a little one. He will be the world’s best dad as his capacity for love knows no bounds!
KEVIN ABOUT NICOLE
Nicole is a patient, caring, considerate, and thoughtful person with a great sense of humor. I just love the moments when we get lost in laughter together. Nicole is a nurse which I personally admire because of her unselfish devotion to caring and advocating not just for her patients but for me, her family, and her friends. It makes me so happy knowing she will carry every one of these traits forward in the capacity as a mother. The greatest perk of Nicole’s job is that it allows her to be home 3 out of 5 days of the work-week. Not only is it great for me, but it is ultimately great for a child who will only need care from a relative two days a week. I cannot wait to see my wife glowing and overflowing with love as a mother.
We live in Northwest Indiana in a family-friendly community (the neighbor kids play in our front yard) with one of the top-ranked school systems in the state. Our home is a single-story, 3-bedroom house, with a cute front porch and a large fenced-in backyard perfect for a swing set. We have recently renovated our home and painted the future nursery a sunny yellow. Two of the items we are eagerly waiting to use is a cradle made by Nicole’s grandfather that has been passed down through two generations, as well as the rocker bought the day Nicole came home from the hospital. A huge benefit of living in our town is the proximity to Chicago (it takes approximately 20 minutes to get downtown) and the culturally diverse opportunities available, as well as living minutes from our immediate and extended families.
Kevin’s mom lives 5 minutes from us and we see her weekly, while Nicole’s mother and stepfather have just purchased a home in a neighboring town to be closer to us. Additionally, we have aunts, uncles, cousins, and children of those cousins who live nearby and are very involved in our lives. Due to our large amount of family in the area, we attend multiple Christmas celebrations each year and get to have two Thanksgivings! Every summer, Nicole’s family has a reunion at her grandparents’ farm in Ohio with 4 generations in attendance. We also make it a point to spend at least one weekend of the summer at Nicole’s Dad and Stepmom’s house in central Illinois where we relax by the lake and fish. And our close friends, our “chosen family,” are a huge part of our lives. Usually every few months we have large get-togethers to celebrate someone’s birthday, with visits for dinner out/bowling etc. in between. We are extremely blessed to have so many people who love us and who will excitedly welcome a new member of the family!
We have thought a lot about not just why we want to be parents, but how we want to raise a child. Most importantly, we want your child to grow into his/her own identity and will provide the opportunities and flexibility needed to discover who they are while also ensuring that there is safety and structure. Discipline will be in the form of time out or loss of privileges, but never physical punishment in any form. We are definitely not believers in the “because I told you so” method of parenting and want to ensure understanding of right from wrong. We believe this builds trust and open communication so that your child knows that he/she can come to us with anything; including any questions they may have about you.
KEVIN’S TOP 10
- I have this weird ability to quote random lines from movies at any given time.
- My favorite ice cream flavor is mint chocolate chip and the ice cream must be green or I will not eat it. White mint chocolate chip ice cream is not right!
- I really enjoy researching the history of… well.. anything. I love finding old photographs, videos, or written documentation. I think I was an archivist in a past life.
- I am the grill master at our family parties.
- I became an ordained minister so I could officiate my best friend’s wedding.
- I love to be outside; even if it is mowing the lawn or snow-blowing.
- I like to collect signs; street signs, antique signs, etc. Our garage is full of them.
- I enjoy using my tools whether it is creating\building something or repairing something.
- I like golf, I’m not great at it, but I enjoy being outside and how calm and quite it is when playing.
- I bought and remodeled the house we currently call home.
NICOLE’S TOP 10
- I HATE bugs!!! Especially spiders – I got the chills just thinking about it.
- I love animals and have rescued three dogs in the past 13 years.
- I love to sing and my husband is always laughing at my little songs I make up.
- I speak Spanish.
- 80’s music is my life!
- I had straight hair until the age of 12 when it started growing curly.
- I love road trips.
- I enjoy reading in my free time and prefer fiction.
- I have lived abroad in Spain and Mexico.
- I cannot draw – not even hearts, they are ALWAYS lop-sided.