JOHN AND MAGGIE
Hello! We’re John and Maggie, and we are so grateful to have this opportunity to connect with you. We’ve been married for 14 years and have so much fun together! We’re truly best friends and spend time going for hikes and walks with Violet (our daughter) and Cooper (our dog), watching Netflix, and even running boring errands-it’s more fun when we go together!
One thing to know about us is that we’re an open book. We value honesty, and pride ourselves on being open and accepting of other people. Our relationships with family and friends mean everything to us, and kids are a huge part of that.
Our hearts brought us to adoption. From the very beginning, adoption just felt right, like this is exactly what we are meant to do, and Violet proved that to be true. Maggie grew up with tons of cousins and loved spending holidays and Sunday dinners with her big family. John’s family is small but very close. They talk or text almost every day. We look forward to getting to know you!
MAGGIE ABOUT JOHN
John is adventurous and loves his family well! He takes his work and his family responsibilities seriously… but be warned that everything else is fair game for poking fun! John loves to crack jokes. He loves all things comic: watching funny movies, stand-up comedy, telling the same silly stories with his friends over and over (and over). He has such a strong balance with those traits—being brave enough to pursue his goals, working hard, being responsible, but also having so much fun along the way. Life is never boring with John! His father left when he was a kid, and he learned a lot from that experience. He is a very involved, active father with Violet, and she adores him! I couldn’t ask for a better partner in parenting.
JOHN ABOUT MAGGIE
Maggie is amazing! She radiates strength, grace, and confidence in a way that comforts and reassures everyone who meets her. She can just as easily offer advice and listen to your troubles as sit around and watch reruns of Gilmore Girls with you. When she makes friends, she makes them for life. She's patient and loving with Violet, in a way few parents can be. She is the foundation from which Violet learns strength, resilience, and the fact that she can do anything. She's not a great singer, but I love it when she sings. Which she does. A lot. She's my best friend, and my inspiration. She's funny, smart, and tough, all of which she'll inspire in our children. Maggie's family supports each other through thick and thin. She wants to encourage her children to be adventurous and creative, and let them learn to be strong and independent. I know that Maggie's determination, compassion, and grace will continue to make her a strong mother, and one who will raise strong, caring children.
Maggie works from home, which we’re grateful for because she gets to spend so much time with Violet without daycare, and John is a scientist. Plus, with flexible work schedules, we get to do things like meet Maggie’s parents for breakfast before work or take Cooper to the park at lunchtime.
We bought a home in 2015 that felt right for growing our family. It’s full of warmth and love… and dog and cat hair… Lately we’ve been working on the second nursery. Maggie’s sister passed along her crib and dresser from her baby. We painted a bookshelf and picked out tons of children’s books and stuffed animals to decorate the shelves. And Violet is ready to share her things!
The best part about our house is the backyard, which has a swimming pool. We hoped Cooper would enjoy swimming, but he refuses to get in! But, we’ve had fun inviting friends and family over for pool parties. Since our siblings all have children, we can’t wait to have cookouts for all the cousins this summer. We love playing with our super-adorable dog and two sweet cats who bring us so much joy. They play and snuggle and hike with us, and the dog hang out with our nephews who give them way too many treats. We appreciate that there are excellent schools nearby and will encourage our child to be an active learner and pursue different activities they enjoy!
Our extended families are super-excited about the adoption process, too. Maggie’s family lives in Indy, too, and her mom called dibs on being the babysitter! We have a guest room in our new home, and John’s mom says she’s going to make good use of it to get to know her new grand baby. Our families inspire us to love fully and welcome others with open arms and without judgement.
We are thankful to have an open adoption with Violet’s birth parents. We see them throughout the year and have a shared photo account so that they can see pictures of Violet every month, and we exchange emails frequently. We hope that we could develop an amazing relationship with you as well!
We’d love the opportunity to get to know you and to answer any questions you might have now that you’ve read a bit about us. We hope you’ll consider us as parents as you go through this journey. We wish you all the best,
Maggie and John
- Between my dad's side of the family and my mom's side, I have 35 first cousins.
- I have the weirdest luck for bumping into famous people. A few recents: Big Boi from Outkast (at a dog grooming event), President Jimmy Carter (on an airplane), Larry Bird (at a lobster boil), and Julie Andrews (in an elevator).
- I'm obsessed with office supplies like colorful pens and markers, sticky notes, fun paperclips, etc.
- When I’m super tired I get the hiccups.
- I keep a great big box of the best birthday, Christmas, Valentine's, whatever cards I've ever received.
- I don't like pizza. I know. Everyone thinks I'm crazy.
- My cat has her own Instagram account.
- I played rugby in school and broke my nose, which is why it's crooked.
- We make elaborate tacos for dinner every Friday night.
- I love to sing all the time: when I'm cleaning, in the car, walking the dogs, and so on. I only wish (and John does, too) that I was a good singer. I'm terrible!
- I love to knit, especially things that make my animals look funny.
- I once was accidentally unprepared to run a half marathon, which I ran anyway. I blame my training app…
- I can identify all of the frogs in Maryland only by hearing their calls.
- I love dirt. I love talking about, learning about it, and looking at it.
- I’ve been scuba diving with sharks.
- I’ve walked along the Great Wall of China.
- I could eat ice cream every day of the year.
- I make wine.
- It’s never too early to eat tacos.
- I can’t float in a pool. I sink like a rock. I have no idea why.
- Violet LOVES animals: cats (she has 2, Newt and Ripley), dogs (she has 1, Cooper), fish (she named hers Taco Fish).
- She's the most ticklish human on the planet. Seriously.
- Violet is legit OBSESSED with stickers. Our house is covered in them. Even the dog's not safe.
- Elmo is a big celeb around here.
- Her favorite activities in order: swinging, reading, swimming.
- She thinks naps are boring. Mama does not agree.
- She wants you to know that her favorite color is “lello” (yellow) so we picked it for this book!
- She thinks we're silly, and we love it because we make her laugh!
- She sings herself to sleep and awake every day.
- She LOVES pasta. And cheese. Mac + cheese is obviously awesome!