GIN AND DAN
Hello, we are Dan and Gin, and we have been together for 18 years! We teach at local colleges and love to go to stand-up comedy shows and concerts, watch movies, and travel. We hope to raise children who are kind, honest, and treat others with respect. We believe that it is important for a child to know about their birth family, and we value honest and open communication with you. We are excited to meet you and to discover the values we share in raising a child.
We met and began dating in college. Our life together has taken us all over the country, and we moved to Indiana four years ago. Shortly before becoming Hoosiers, we tied the knot in Las Vegas, Nevada. Due to medical issues, we have known for a few years that adoption would be the best way for us to start our family, and we are excited about starting this new journey together.
We love teaching, and our schedules are pretty flexible as we can have summers off from work! In our free time together, we like to watch movies and TV shows; we’ve spent the last year re-watching “The X-Files” from the beginning. We love to laugh, and we go to stand-up comedy shows frequently. Listening to live music is another one of our favorite activities, and some of our favorite recent concerts were Cher, Foo Fighters, Bruno Mars, Robert Plant, Panic! At the Disco and Weezer, and Kanye West. We also enjoy travel, and we’ve been to Europe several times together. We also traveled to South America for the first time this past year.
We love to decorate our home for the holidays and collect new ornaments for our Christmas tree each year, often from our travels. We share our home with two adorable guinea pigs, Abe Pigoda and Lou Ferrpigno (named after the actors Abe Vigoda and Lou Ferrigno). Gin selected these names, much to Dan’s amusement (and embarrassment). After all these years, we still make silly jokes and keep each other laughing.
When I first met Gin, I was immediately struck by her openness, honesty, and humor. She was so much fun to be around! We became close friends immediately, and started dating a few months later. I’ve never looked back. Gin’s compassion and caring has always amazed me, whether it was for the children she coached on swim team, or the monkeys she worked with in her studies, or the many college students she’s mentored. I know she’ll be a great mother, and will raise strong, compassionate children.
I’ve often said that Gin is the most interesting thing about me! My life is so much more interesting and exciting with her in it. One thing Gin and I share in common is our commitment to our friends. Gin has been there for her friends through hard times, and has given them great comfort when they needed it most. We both have close groups of friends from childhood, and we also share a large and close-knit group of friends from college. These friendships have enhanced both our lives greatly, and have given us a strong support system to rely on.
Dan is one of the kindest people I know and my best friend. We share a lot of the same interests, have fun together, and have similar senses of humor. Dan is smart, thoughtful about decisions, and a hard worker. He has put a lot effort into his work, and I’m proud of all he has accomplished.
Dan and I have had a number of conversations about parenting, and we have found that we agree about basically everything when it comes to our views on parenting, discipline, and values to instill in a child. Dan feels strongly about being an involved parent. Over the years, I have gotten to watch Dan interact with my niece and nephew and our friends’ children—building with Legos, playing on the playground, or doing craft projects with my niece. He is fun and friendly, patient and kind, and it is clear to me that he will be a loving father.
We live in a four-bedroom home in central Indiana. We are converting one bedroom to a nursery, and we have a guest room where family and friends stay when they visit. Our yard is big enough to run and play in. Our neighborhood is also very child-friendly: it has a playground, a pool, a basketball court, and tennis courts, and is full of families with children. Another reason we chose this community is because of its excellent public schools.
Dan’s parents are both retired and live in Massachusetts, where Dan grew up. Dan has a younger brother who lives in New York City. Dan is close with his family and talks to them on the phone regularly. Gin’s parents are also both retired and live in Georgia (where Gin grew up), along with Gin’s two brothers. We have a 24-year-old nephew who recently got married and a 12-year-old niece who enjoys visiting us in the summer. Gin’s younger brother and his wife recently welcomed a daughter, our second niece! Despite the fact that our families do not live locally, they are all very excited to welcome a new child into the family.
We have lots of close friends, both near and far. Many of them have young children, so they are great sources of parenting advice and funny stories. Like our families, everyone has been very supportive of our adoption journey.
10 FUN FACTS ABOUT DAN
· Since I am from Massachusetts, I occasionally still say “wicked.”
· I have been to Germany 7 times, but still cannot speak any German.
· My office bulletin board is covered with postcards from my travels, as well as hand-painted cards made by my mother.
· I have an impressive CD collection.
· Double Stuff Oreos are not enough Stuff for me; I am an expert at constructing and dunking Quadruple Stuff Oreos.
· I keep a list of all the concerts I have been to; it’s up to 66 now.
· My mother took my friends and me to my first concert, Soundgarden, for my 13th birthday.
· My favorite authors are John Steinbeck and Jack Kerouac.
· I played football in high school.
· While I did not come up with the names for our current guinea pigs, I did name my childhood guinea pig: Piggington.
10 FUN FACTS ABOUT GIN
· I also had a guinea pig as a child, named Cinnamon.
· I have worked with monkeys at several different places, including the Atlanta Zoo.
· I swam competitively when I was younger, and I estimate that I have logged enough miles to swim about halfway around the world.
· I have not kept careful count, but I estimate that I have eaten enough Oreos to completely circle the world.
· I absolutely hate lettuce and am perhaps the only adult I know who does not eat salad (I do eat other veggies, though).
· I am a world-ranked competitive Tetris player, and we have a separate TV just for playing Tetris on.
· I am a trivia buff and I know way more about movie and TV actors than any person should.
· One of my secret hobbies is decorating cakes.
· I hate gardening itself, but I like the end result.
· My childhood friends and I maintain an active text message circle; on some especially chatty days, we have sent several hundred text
messages to each other.