Jesse & Katie
Hi there! Thank you for taking time to check us out! If we had to sum up who we are as a couple in one word, it would be: funlovsupporthappy (we know, it’s not a real word but we think it captures who we are pretty accurately!). Jesse is currently a Production Manager at a local distillery where he manages the daily operation of the facility. He is also a veteran of the US Navy and has been deployed several times. Katie is a Business Development Manager with a personal care brand where she is now launching the wholesale business for her company. When we’re not working, we like to travel to New York to visit Jesse’s family, take bike rides together, go to outdoor concerts and find new local restaurants to enjoy. We also enjoy spending time with Katie’s family here in Indy, which include her immediate family of parents, brother, sister-in-law and nephew as well as her extended family, which has too many cousins, nieces and nephews to count! One of the most important aspects of our relationship is humor and we enjoy nothing more than to make each other laugh. We hope to have a relationship with you!
We met while we were working together at a chocolate factory in Brooklyn, NY (insert Willy Wonka joke here) and were friends for a while before beginning a relationship together. Being friends first allowed us the opportunity to get to really know each other well as we weren’t trying to impress each other with the idea of starting a relationship. We shared all sides of each other, good and bad, and this let us really understand who each other was. These friendly talks also showed each other the importance of communicating. Maintaining a strong, open, truthful line of communication is something we’ve maintained 11 years later. From there, our ability to make each other laugh and our shared love of food, travel and living life created what seemed like an easy path to what would become our marriage.
Jesse on Katie:
What I’ve always been attracted to in Katie is her strong, giving, compassionate nature that people naturally gravitate to. Katie is one of the most devoted people I know and is always looking for new ways to volunteer within the community. She currently volunteers with Meals on Wheels and has a monthly route serving a community in downtown Indy. When one of her friends or a family member is going through a difficult time, Katie is always one of the first people to show up with a meal or an offer to babysit or any other way to help the person she loves through their tough time. “Aunt Katie” is on the top of the list for many of our friends that are looking for someone they trust to watch their kiddos and she is always willing to answer the call! I know that she will be a very loving, involved, encouraging mom!
Katie on Jesse:
Jesse is one of the most patient, even-tempered and kind humans I know. I love to be on the go and he does such a great job of balancing me with his calm. What instantly drew me to him was his quick wit and vast knowledge of pop culture. He’s so fun to talk to and is super smart. When we were getting to know each other as friends, we developed this incredible banter. To this day, we’re super playful, making each other laugh constantly. In watching him with our cats, nephews, and friends’ kids, I’m 1000% positive he’ll be the most incredible father. It’s one thing I was immediately sure of when we started dating. He’s gentle and calm and tiny people and animals always gravitate toward him. We had our nephew staying with us for a month this summer and it was such a pleasure to watch him “parent” him, especially during the more difficult disciplinary moments. He is so calm, but firm, commanding respect even from moody 12 year olds!
We live in the Meridian-Kessler area of Indy and have called this neighborhood our home for the past 5 years. We are surrounded by neighbors that we have grown to call friends and have opened our front yard to their children to play on whenever they want. The neighborhood is very diverse with many different ethnicities represented within the community and our neighbors routinely get together on the street to catch-up. Jesse is the captain of his softball team and plays pickup basketball with the neighbors during the week. Katie loves to exercise (mostly walking, biking or yoga these days). She would live in our kitchen if she could…it’s truly her happy place. She cooks up creations using fresh produce we get each week from a local farmer. She’s super social and is often meeting a friend for dinner/drinks or coming up with her next excuse to host a gathering at our home. Our house has many windows which make it a very bright, sunny home and we just updated our backyard, which now has a pretty patch of grass to play on. We have 2 cats, Benny and Jet, and both are very sweet with their interactions with us (Benny is more like a dog than a cat in the way he follows Jesse around!).
When it comes to parenting styles, we understand the importance of maintaining a positive structure within the family. We feel that showing children love and affection is key to allowing them to grow into confident, strong, emotionally intelligent young adults. Along with these components, we will show them by example the importance of being responsible to themselves, their family and their community and how significant of a trait it is to be able to “show up” when expected to. Overall, we believe providing love, understanding and direction will help any child grow into a mature, strong and responsible person that will one day parent their own children.
We believe that an adoptee needs to understand their story, which is why we value the relationship they will have with their birth mother/family. We do not want to keep children in the dark on where they come from and who they are as individuals, and because of this, we look forward to having an open adoption with you!
- I was in the United States Navy for 4 years but am definitely not a strong swimmer!
- While in the Navy I traveled to 5 of the 7 continents.
- I've been skydiving, even though I'm not very fond of heights.
- I worked in a chocolate factory for 10 years but never actually met an Oompa Loompa!
- I am the Godfather to 5 people, including 2 of my nephews.
- I love being involved in athletics and am the captain of my softball team.
- Our cats Benny and Jet consider me their favorite parent (don't tell Katie!)
- Being that I'm from New York, I could eat pizza for every meal and never complain about it.
- I love music and consider my taste to be all over the map.
- I was made to be a father because I have a zillion dad jokes ready to go!
- I took voice lessons for five years and was in show choir in high school.
- Ironically, I also have horrendous stage fright!
- I once stayed in a nun’s convent on a trip to Europe.
- We also hitchhiked while on that trip!
- I mess up the lyrics to any song by anyone other than Mariah or Whitney.
- I would eat tacos for any meal of the day, any day of the week!
- I love, love, LOVE to cook and rarely use a recipe…Jesse is my biggest fan, somehow agreeing to try all of my creations.
- I went from reading never, to reading a couple of books a month during the past year and a half. I’m hooked now. I love thrillers, historic fiction and the occasional biography. Loved Michelle Obama’s book!
- To Jesse’s dismay, I would happily binge any show that Bravo or E! produces…specifically enjoy Real Housewives, Southern Charm, and Keeping up with the Kardashians.
- I’d love to sell real estate in another life. I’m constantly looking at houses for sale in our area, areas where friends/family live or places we’ve visited on vacation.
- I was adopted from a shelter in Brooklyn and already named Benny, which my parents thought was cute.
- I’m more dog than cat!
- My mom thinks I’m dad’s shadow, always following him around the house the second he gets home.
- I make friends easily!
- I have the prettiest fur and wildly long tail.
- I was also adopted and since my brother came first, I was named Jet after the Elton John classic, “Benny and the Jets”.
- Just like my brother, my parents have a lot of nicknames for me, like Jet Mama!
- My favorite place to hide when I’m scared is under the blanket on my parents’ bed.
- On Saturdays my parents have a tradition, where they give my brother and I a special wet food treat. It’s kind of embarrassing for them, but they sing a song while doing it.
- I go wild for catnip!