ADAM AND DEREK
Hi! We’re Adam and Derek and we can’t wait to meet you.
Thank you for getting to know us a little better. We’re a completely open book – so ask us anything! We’ve been married for a little over 5 years but have known each other for 15 years! Adam is in business development for a technology company and Derek is a leasing and marketing director for a property development company.
We love exploring new parts of the city – whether it’s hiking and climbing trees around Eagle Creek, going to check out a movie, or sitting on our sunny patio with a beverage. We live in Indianapolis and can’t wait to share our love, our home, and our pups with an awesome little guy or girl!
Derek is simply the best thing about my life. He is my best friend and the person who makes me a better man. He’s the carefree, free-spirit to my “type-A”, hyper-organized mind. The thing I love most about him is his unconditional love for our puppies. Nothing makes me smile more than hearing him talk to them in the other room. And he will be an amazing dad. He’ll be the dad who takes the time to teach our awesome little guy or girl to play old-school Nintendo and pick the best Snapchat filters. He’ll constantly work to show our child what it means to be a kind and compassionate human. I can’t wait to take this journey with Derek!
Adam is my backbone. He’s without a doubt my absolute best friend, a terrific husband, and will make such an amazing dad. He’s incredibly kind, open minded, thoughtful, compassionate, patient, and self-assured. After 15 years, he continues to challenge me to become a better person. I cannot think of anyone that I would rather be living this life with. Watching Adam be an uncle to our nieces and nephews is absolutely adorable and is another reason I love him so much. He’s going to be the type of dad that isn’t afraid of climbing trees, splashing in the kiddie pool, or getting in the sandbox to dig and build something! I really look forward to this next phase of our lives and to becoming parents!
We met 15 years ago, in 2003, when we both worked at the mall – Derek at a clothing store and Adam at a fast food place. Derek would come down on his breaks and Adam would give him a free lemon pie. We got married in Fort Wayne (our hometown) in September 2012 on an old bridge with our closest family and friends – during the only 30 minutes it didn’t rain that day! We moved to Indy in 2010 and absolutely love it here.
Over everything else in our marriage, we value our open communication and ability to laugh at ourselves and each other. When you’ve essentially grown up together, it’s the part that has kept us who we are. We genuinely enjoy each other’s company – and can’t wait to share that with our child. We also can’t wait to share some of our favorite traditions. When Derek was a kid, they always made time to drive around town to look at the Christmas light displays. For me, Christmas Eve is always one of my favorite evenings to spend with my family. We all get dressed up and go to church, and it’s filled with songs, guitars, and fake snow falling from the ceiling.
We also can’t wait to read to our little guy or girl as we both grew up reading a lot. We’ve had more than one conversation about the appropriate age to start reading them Harry Potter books! We also love camping – whether it’s parking Derek’s parent’s camper by the lake and spending the day on the boat or breaking out the tent like Adam used to do with his dad and brothers, our child is going to have plenty of time to explore!
Both of our immediate families live in Fort Wayne. Adam’s parents are Mark and Dagne (pronounced Dag-knee) and are celebrating their 35th wedding anniversary this year. He has two younger brothers – Tyler and David. Tyler is married to Kristy and they have a 4-year old son named Deacon and a daughter that is due in August (so our kids will be the same age!). They are huge pet lovers and have two dogs – Maverick and Molly. Tyler is in the FBI and Kristy is a hair stylist and fitness instructor. David owns his own business and has never met a stranger. He is a proud dog dad to a boxer named Penny. Adam’s grandmother, Liz, lives with his parents and this will be her 5th great-grandkid.
Derek’s parents are Dale and Deb and are celebrating 38 years in July! He has two younger brothers (the same age as Adam’s younger brothers) – Bryan and Tyler. Bryan is a detailer/modeler for an engineering firm (as well as a Navy Reservist) and is a dog dad to Habibi (meaning “my love”). Tyler is an installation contractor and is engaged to Megan and making an awesome blended family. He has a 14-year-old daughter, Mackenzie, and Megan has three kids – Logan is 10, Rosie is 9, and Eli just turned 7. They just adopted a beagle – his name is Cooper! Derek’s grandparents – Clarence and Carol – split their time between Tennessee, Florida, and wherever else their grandkids may be. They have 10 great-grandchildren!
Our dogs are our world and we can’t wait them to meet their little brother or sister! We adopted Candi, a toy poodle, when she was 9 years old and she celebrated her “sweet 16” last year. She is incredibly smart and loves to cuddle. When she’s not sniffing around the kitchen for any drop off food, she’s laying on her back waiting until we rub her belly. We adopted Benjamin “Ben” in 2012 when he was about 2 and he’ll turn 8 this year! He’s an ornery and fun little guy and loves going on walks all around the neighborhood and laying wherever he can find sunshine. Both have spent a ton of time around our nieces, nephews, and other kids of all ages and are awesome with kids.
We live just outside downtown Indianapolis in a historic district full of shops, parks, trails, and restaurants – all of which we can walk to. We chose this area for its history and diversity. We live in a 3 bedroom bungalow with a fenced-in yard. We purposely choose a smaller house as it was all we needed at the time and it allowed us to save money for our child. While we know we’ll outgrow it – probably sooner than later with a baby – we love the walkable neighborhood, the neighbors with young children, and the diversity of all of our neighbors! We want our child to grow up with as much diversity as possible. We have a fenced-in yard, neighbors with a pool, and our friends next door have a little girl who will be 1 in September! What we love to do most with our nieces and nephews is to take a walk from our house along the trail up to get ice cream at the small ice cream shop or head to the library across the street.
Adam works for an amazing company who offers incredible benefits to a family – including 6 months of paid paternity leave. That gives our little guy or girl 6 full months of non-stop cuddling, trips to the park, and playdates. Once we return to work, we plan on working with an amazing daycare in downtown Indianapolis. It’s super important for our child to play, learn, and grow with kind and strong teachers when we can’t be there.
We chose to work with our agency because they are tireless supporters of open adoptions. One of our greatest hopes is for you and your family to be a part of ours. We don’t have any crazy ideas of it being perfect, but if you’re comfortable with it, we’d love nothing more than to grow a strong relationship with you – whatever that means to you and that you’re comfortable with.
10 Facts about Adam
- I love random knowledge and facts! I can spend hours on Wikipedia going from page to page.
- I taught English to high school and college students in Thailand.
- I’m not good at handstands while Derek is very good at handstands. I end up forgetting to straighten my arms and run head-first into the ground.
- I can’t get rid of books. There are many that I know I’ll never read again, but I love having them.
- I talk to myself a lot. Sometimes in the car, I realize I’m talking aloud with no one there, so I quickly pretend I have wireless Bluetooth and I’m just on the phone.
- I love old school video games like Mario Brothers and Legend of Zelda.
- My grandparents spent their summers on Lake Michigan and spending time there growing up are some of my absolute favorite memories.
- Definitive fast food ranking: Wendy’s, McDonald’s, Chick-fil-A, Chipotle, BDubs To-Go. Obviously the order will change if it’s breakfast. I will argue about this.
- My first memory is falling behind a couch when I was a kid and getting a few stitches.
- I like running and have competed in 3 half-marathons and a ton of 10Ks and 5Ks!
10 Facts about Derek
- I was a gymnast until I was 18. Even to this day, I find myself watching gymnastics videos on YouTube on the daily! I travel to at least one gymnastics meet a year with a group of friends I used to coach with.
- I’m 100% obsessed with all things Harry Potter! I was in denial for a long time, but I’m a proud Hufflepuff!
- For a long time, I couldn’t say the word “accessory” right. It’s a really hard word!
- I used to think that Pizza Hut was called Pizza Hot. I don’t know why.
- I literally crave chocolate milk after every time I go to the gym. I allow myself to buy a half gallon every Saturday morning after the gym and I pretty much finish it off in a day.
- When I was a kid, I would travel to Knoxville, Tennessee for two weeks over summer vacation to visit my grandparents. I still think Knoxville is pretty much the best city ever!
- Whenever I’m around people with a southern accent, I get one too.
- One of my favorite movies of all time is The Royal Tenenbaums. On our first date ever, I made Adam watch it and I was so happy when he loved it to! Recently, he admitted that he never liked the movie and didn’t have the heart to tell me at the time.
- I love movies! I think my love of movies started when I was a kid, my parents would take my brothers and me to a video store every Friday and we could pick out any movie we wanted.
- When I was a kid, I was absolutely terrified of water. I don’t remember how I overcame that fear, but now I could be in the water all day! Except I will not go more than waist deep in the ocean, mysterious ocean creatures still scare the crap out of me!